Friday, December 31, 2010

The "List"...2010 Winds Down.

Here it is, New Year's Eve 2010.

Many things have happened this year: exciting, fun, and sad. I like to follow a tradition around this time of the year where I write out major things that have taken place in my life. I know a lot of people do this too, but it's a good way for me to look back on my year, and look forward to a new one.

So, chronologically speaking, some highlights from the year (with pictures!)

February 1, 2010: I turn 22 and celebrate by going to dinner with my Big Sis from Pi Beta Phi, with my sister in meeting, and then drinks with Brian!

February 26, 2010: Interviewed for and got a job offer for a position at Edelweiss Lodge and Resort in Southern Germany. Eventually turned down the job, but got to spend the entire weekend with Becky in San Francisco, my first visit to the area in over a decade!

With Becky and Kelsey at Mumm Napa in Napa, CA

April 19, 2010: Went Alumnae from Pi Beta Phi in a very lovely ceremony. Later that week, we had our Blue Party to say a last farewell to our sisters.

April 24, 2010: Last meet of my NAU Track and Field career, though in a different event than the previous two years.

Throwing javelin at ASU during my last meet for NAU

May 8, 2010: Graduated with a BS in Parks and Recreation Management (emphasis in Outdoor Leadership) and a minor in Criminal Justice from Northern Arizona University. The ceremony was attended by my mom and dad, sister, and my first Little Sis in Pi Phi, Kristina.

I's a college grad!

July 17-30: Ventured north of Virginia for the first time in my life as I co-lead a group of thirteen 14-17 year-olds through the beautiful New England outdoors! During this short time, we white-water rafted in New York, rock climbed in New Hampshire, climbed Mt Washington, stayed at Lakes of the Clouds hut in the White Mountains, and sea kayaked in Maine. I also indulged in a bowl of REAL New England Clam Chowder. Let's just say, I didn't want to leave!

The kids and Steve on the beach of Jewel Island off the coast of Maine (I'm taking the picture)

Summer 2010: I can't remember the exact day, but sometime during June or July, our family dog, Lady Chardonnay, had to be put down. She lived to be 16 and a couple months, and survived many events (rattlesnake bite, coyote attack, random 7-inch gash in her side, inner ear syndrome, etc). She was loyal, faithful to the end, and was a terrific friend....one of my best friends. I won't ever forget listening for her bell after we called for her.

Lady the Wonder Dog, during a winter in Idyllwild

July 2010: Also during my trip to New England, my grandpa Ray passed away. My mom's father was not in good health for all I can remember, but he was a great conversationalist, and had a lot of great stories from his travels around the world. I loved hearing him tell stories! He also contributed to the US Olympic Committee so we got a lot of Olympic-ish gifts from him. I still have at least two of the Land's End jackets he got me!

September 1-5: US Bobsled and Skeleton Federation Combine (Take 1). I add the parenthesis because, as some of you know, I pulled a hamstring during this combine, which means I couldn't finish the test. I did, however, stay for the duration of the camp, lived and ate at the Olympic Training Center, and basically was gaga over the Olympic history surrounding me. I was also invited to sliding camp!

The entrance to the OTC in Lake Placid, NY

November 8-15(ish), 2010: USBSF Beginner Sliding School. My first sliding camp (on ice!) was a blast. Five days of sliding from the lower portions of the track, gradually moving up to start 3. It was intense, exhilarating and addicting! I also got to practice my push start for the first time (at the push track) and, oh yeah...passed my combine with 686 points!

Sliding from Start 3

November 30-December 10, 2010: USBSF Advanced Sliding School was pretty much like Beginner sliding school, except the first two days we were there, the track was closed due to inclimate weather, and we finally went from the top of the track. It was crazy fast, something to get used to, and made me realize just how tough this road was going to be. But it was during this camp that I fully committed myself to the sport. I quit my recently acquired winter job with REI and made plans to move to Lake Placid during the three months of winter.

Sliding around Curve 20 at the bottom of the track

December 25, 2010: As a family, we spread Lady's ashes at the "Emma Tree" on the Scenic Trail in Idyllwild, where she loved to "herd" her family as we hiked. It was a touching moment, and a bit of closure for me (I cried...a lot).

At the Emma Tree with Lady

December 29, 2010: I get my first piece of media coverage as my hometown paper, the Idyllwild Town Crier, wrote a front-page article about my sliding thus far. A special thanks to JP, who took his time out to do this for me! I hope the town follows my career, as it was a great place to live for me.

December 31, 2010: Here I am again, looking forward to 2011 and all that it will bring. I'll begin the year in Virginia, watching the Rose Parade online, but soon I will be moving to Lake Placid for three months. After sliding, learning and working out, I will be coming back to Virginia to work again for Adventure Links. It's going to be a hectic, exciting year, maybe with a couple of official races through skeleton, and will likely be opening me to whole other areas I haven't yet been.

I am constantly seeking funding to continue my dreams for the Olympics, and need your help! I do have a link on the right side of the page in my blog which will take you directly to my PayPal account to make a donation. If you'd like to make a tax-detectable donation, please visit http://bobsled.teamusa.org/resources/athlete-training-fund, where you can donate online, and find an address to donate through the mail. PLEASE be sure to put my name on the donation! Any contribution is appreciated to no end!

What were your favorite moments of 2010? Let me know in a comment, and share your experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment